JOB TITLE: Co-op/internship Mechanical Engineering
REPORTS TO: Sr. Director, Operations and Programs
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
RATE: $17-$20 Based upon experience
About Lite Coms LLC: We are a high-tech satellite terminal design and manufacturing company with a high energy entrepreneurial environment. Our goal is to take awesome care of our employees so they can take awesome care of our customers. You will be getting in on the ground floor of a rapidly growing dynamic business with great opportunities for growth. You will be a key part of shaping a great new organization.
POSITION SUMMARY: Reporting to the Sr. Director of Operations and Programs, fall/winter Co-op/intern Mechanical Engineer will help to develop designs, sketches, and specifications for Lite Coms Family of products. The desired candidate will have an introductory knowledge and understanding of design with respect to, heat transfer, shock, vibration and harsh environments. Must have a strong desire to plan and supervise environmental & transport testing to prove designs and establish certification in accordance with applicable requirements (typically MIL-STD-810G). Must be willing to do light mechanical assembly of prototype and production hardware.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
- Research, plan and design mechanical and electromechanical products and systems.
- Analyze data such as customer design requirements, specifications, and manuals to determine feasibility of design or application.
- Ability to assemble delicate and intricate electro-mechanical assemblies.
- Develop designs, sketches, specifies and creates prototypes of proposed packaging/system in order to present for design approval.
- Experienced using 3D modeling software such as Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Provide guidance and supervision as necessary for creation of prototype parts and transport packaging; supervise in-house and external lab testing for environmental verification & validation.
Relocation Assistance Available:
No, relocation assistance is not a negotiable benefit.
This position requires the ability to obtain a US Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship.
Basic Qualifications: Required Skills and Experience
- Working to obtain a bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (BSME)
- One to two prior Co-op/internship work experience in analysis, design, development of electromechanical equipment, components, assemblies, and systems.
- Experienced with 3D modeling software such as Autodesk Inventor and Solidworks.
- Work with minimum supervision
- Occasional support in other departments as needed
- Willing to learn what 810 military (MIL-STD-810G) specifications and procedures are and use in practical situations.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to learn to read, analyze and interpret technical procedures and government specifications/regulations. Ability to write reports, procedure manuals, and correspondence. Ability to present information and respond to questions one-on-one or from groups of colleagues, managers and customers.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals. Ability to calculate ratio, percent, proportions, draw and interpret graphs. Ability to use advanced math concepts as required for structural and kinematic analysis and/or to validate results of computer aided design.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding, to carry out instructions and solve practical problems; correctly assess the correctness/suitability of design software output and deal with a variety of concrete variables in complex situations.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment is that of a typical electronic assembly operation with occasional exposure to dust, vapors, heat, cold and noise.
Lite Coms LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, sex, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, genetic information, citizenship status, or membership in any other group protected by law. In addition, Lite Coms LLC also prohibits discharging or in any other manner discriminating against an applicant or employee for discussing, disclosing or inquiring about compensation or compensation information.